About the ACFRT
For over 30 years the Australian Cystic Fibrosis Research Trust (ACFRT) has funded more than 300 cystic fibrosis (CF) research projects to the value of $6.5 million.
In 1989 the ACFRT was founded by a group of parents, patients and doctors to secure resources to support CF research in Australia. Its dedicated core objective is funding research into the treatment and cure of CF. The ACFRT’s remit is to secure funding from public, private and corporate entities and allocate funds for high quality peer reviewed research. It is passionate about ground breaking, innovative research concepts that consider new treatments and models of care that ultimately improve life expectancy and quality of life for people with CF. Attracting the brightest young minds into CF medicine, allied health, mental health and research is also a key priority and former ACFRT grant recipients are a testament to this.
The ACFRT is administrated by Cystic Fibrosis Australia (CFA) and supported by CF organisations from all states and territories. All projects by the ACFRT are peer reviewed by our excellent medical and research partners from across Australia and is also committed to including consumers in their research strategy and evaluation process.
In 2017 the ACFRT launched its revised research strategy and the ACFRT remains committed to the core objectives of:
• Funding research into the treatment and cure of CF
• Improving quality of life outcomes for people with CF
• Attract the brightest young minds to CF research and fund innovative, even novel concepts
• Reduce the fracturing of CF research funds
• Ensure research is selected on scientific merit and path to impact.
The ACFRT has focused on the establishment of a robust and effective research grant model that incorporates both scientific peer reviews and consumer reviews. Current research initiatives include:
• Innovation grants for post-doctorial research that explores novel concepts at the initial feasibility stage – $80,000 pa
• ‘Top Up’ scholarships for post-graduate students involved in CF research – $5,000 pa
• ‘Think Tanks’ facilitated by respected CF leaders bringing together a group of bright young minds, experienced CF professionals, and consumers to consider the big issues facing the CF community
• CF state and territory organisation collaborations supporting a coordinated research approach.
CFA and the ACFRT are committed to involving the CF community in research evaluation and grant divesting, monitoring, and evaluating. If you would like to provide a consumer review or join a Think Tank please contact CFA.
If you would like to support the ACFRT, donate today, and know you are helping fund some of the world’s most cutting-edge research.
It is important to note that 100% of the funds raised or donated to the ACFRT are used to support research.
The support of CFA in providing the operational funds to allow this is invaluable.