Page 5 - TP_Financial_Booklet_A5_V3

Basic HTML Version

2.2.1 Eligibility
You may be eligible for Sickness Allowance if you are unable to work or study
temporarily because of illness, injury or disability. You must be:
• Aged 21 or over and have a job, or
• Aged 21 or over and getting Austudy, or
• Aged 25 or over and getting Austudy, and
• An Australian resident, in Australia and not subject to the 2-year newly arrived
resident’s waiting period.
You must have work or study to return to when you are better. Otherwise, you may be
eligible for another payment from Centrelink, for example Newstart Allowance.
Note: You need to get your doctor to fill out a medical certificate, preferably a Centrelink
medical certificate, which confirms you are medically unfit for your usual work.
3. Medicare Safety net
3.1 Medicare Safety Net
The Medicare Safety Net provides families and individuals with financial assistance for
high out-of-pocket costs for out-of-hospital Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) services.
Once you meet a Medicare Safety Net threshold, you may be eligible for additional
Medicare benefits for out-of-hospital MBS services for the rest of the calendar year. Also
available is the PBS Safety Net if you and your family need a lot of medicines in any
Many types of medicine cost much more than the price you pay; some cost hundreds of
dollars. The Australian Government pays most of it for you through the Pharmaceutical
Benefits Scheme and the Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS/RPBS).
3.2 What is the PBS Safety Net?
If you or your family need a lot of medicines in a year, the Safety Net helps you with the
cost of your medicines. Once you or your family reach a Safety Net threshold, you can
apply for a PBS Safety Net card; then your PBS medicine will be less expensive or free
for the rest of the calendar year. If you choose a more expensive brand of medicine, or
your doctor prescribes one, you may need to pay more